Sit comfortably on a chair and place both hands on the lower abdomen.
Take a few deep breaths and let the inhalation and exhalation be gentle but deep.
Close your eyes and gaze inwardly into your spiritual eye, a point between your eye brows - the Centre of Divinity to the higher consciousness.
Take a few deep breaths while focusing on your spiritual eye.
Bring your attention to your Heart Centre located at the middle region of your spine, just behind your physical heart - the Centre of Love.
Take a few deep breaths while focusing on your Heart Centre.
Continue the deep breathing and bring your attention to the Centre of Balance which is about three fingers below your navel and midway into the centre of your body.
Take a few deep breaths while focusing on your Centre of Balance.
Now focus on all three energy centres. Feel all the centres breathing together with your lungs and diaphragm.
Relax into the centres for a while. Gently open your eyes.
What are the Three Energy Centres (dantians)?
A. Centre of Divinity at the Spiritual Eye: power of spiritual guidance centre of spiritual guidance: intuition, willpower and wisdom
B. Centre of Love at the Heart Centre: power to love centre of thoughts, emotions, feelings and relationships
C. Centre of Balance below the navel: power to manifest love centre of vitality and health
Note: Centre of Balance or lower dantian is about three fingers below your navel and midway into the centre of your body. It may vary slightly from person to person. This should be the point where the expansion and contraction of abdomen originates during inhalation and exhalation.
Adapted Thunderbolt with Arms Sweeping (Vajrasana)
Releases tension on the neck, chest and shoulders.
Energises the heart meridian. Expands the sides of the heart.
1. Stand on your knees. Have the knees in line with the hips.
2. Inhale – Lift the chest. Open your heart. Sweep both arms up. Bring the palms together above your head.
3. Exhale – Open your palms. Bring the arms down to shoulder level. Turn the palms backwards. Sweep the arms to the lower back. Turn the neck to the right side. Bring the chest to the thighs. Soften your heart. Rest on the right side of your face. Take a few deep breaths while resting.
4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3. End with resting on the left side of your face. This makes one round.
5. Repeat Steps 2 to 4 for 3 to 5 rounds with resting on the alternate side of your face.
6. On last exhalation - Bring your chest to the thighs. Return your head to a neutral position. Rest your forehead on the floor. Be in tune with your heart.
- Do this pose very slowly and gently with deep breathing.
- It is important to focus on the Three Centres to help balancing and alignment to reduce the possibility of injury.
- Place a firm blanket under the knees to reduce pressure on your knees.
Contraindication and Caution:
- If you have difficulty balancing while standing on your knees, then sit on your heels.
- If you have difficulty bringing your forehead down onto the floor, then place a bolster in front of you to rest your forehead on the bolster without over-extending your spine and compensating your knees.